Monday, January 01, 2007

for you on a holiday, joanna vogel

I am not in the fashion of receiving
gifts.
I make strange faces
to convey gratitude,
then cover them with my hands.
All you see are my
nervously bitten fingernails
which cannot really tell you how
much I think my heart
might fall out from loving you,
and how inadequate I feel in return.

I think I may be a little old
to start breaking out the hot glue,
the paper plates, elbow macaroni, and,
in the absence of my needles and wool,
I have knit you a poem for Christmas,
for Hanukkah,
for Kwanzaa and New Years.
Now, don't get too excited,
I don't know what you've heard about me,
and remember,
this poem is a generic.
Come to think of it,
I think I might sell it
to my pharmacist,
might barter it with those
silly Hallmark people,
and get you a proper gift.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joanna...this is so much better than anything from Hallmark.
Love the beginning...receiving and even giving gifts can be awkward and yet is so wonderful and exciting at the same time.
Happy 2007!

W Brown said...

Joanna,

I hate receiving gifts, the poem captures a real moment, and I do not think you ever get too old for glue guns and macaroni.

Ms. Mayo said...

Wait a minute...
That was a generic poem?
I thought that was for meeeeeeeeeee!
I've been showing off my copy, handwritten on parchment paper to all my friends and family!!!!!!!

Okay, end of whiny rant-- the poem is amazing. And so is the poet.

Lori

Anonymous said...

Mayo we all got the poem!

Mighty Mojo said...

Brownie! You're so awful!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Even though this commnet is incredibly late ( point and laugh if you must... J this poem is amazing, as usual, and I lovethe innocence of it...and hey, whats wrong with glue guns and macaroni... thanks Mr. Brown! :)
love it! Awesome. Just like you and your crazy self.