Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Silent Defiance, Ginny Georgekutty

“She’ll end up killing somebody”
You say
And although you speak
Those words as a joke
There is one truth
Beneath it all
That you believe
The belief that
Silence is a flaw
A problem
A social “no-no”

As part of that silence
I believe otherwise

For my silence
Is not simply shy
No,
There’s more to it
Than you may recognize

For my silence
Is a voice that stands out
And takes a side
Even if you fail to recognize
The words that lie
Hidden beneath my closed lips

My silence symbolizes
The silence of millions
Because of
Hunger, poverty, natural disasters, tragedies
Or abuse
Happening all across
The world

It spits upon
The many imposters
That con millions
Of their money
Just for their pleasure

It listens to
Every word of
Every conversation
That many of the outspoken
Disregard

It silently tortures and scolds
My victim
To the point
That they are left
Clueless as to why
Exactly
I was silent
In the first place

My silence is
My polite response
To your looks
Your questions
Your gaze
And my restraint
From any possible outburst
Of words, emotions
That would later
Haunt and humiliate me

However
To be fair
I agree that at times
My silence is
No more than an escape
To evade your question
And try to guess at
The definite answer
That you are looking for
Yet
I do not know
Or to simply
Stop myself from
Saying “I don’t know”
So many times
That I look more
Ignorant than naïve

In its’ true form
Or as with my own,
Silence is anything
But a flaw
Whose voice
Is flat and ordinary

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always maintained and definitely believe that it is "the quiet ones you have to watch" and that "still waters run deep". Ginny both of these can be applied to you. Beneath that quiet exterior there is a mind that is very active and your poetry has allowed us a glimpse inside.
I hope there is more before the year ends.

W Brown said...

Obviously silence scares me.....this poem isn't helping.

Anonymous said...

Well, I didn't mean to portray silence as scary- just as a positive trait in a person.

Maybe I need to rework the poem? I wasn't in the best mood when I wrote it. xD

Anonymous said...

*Ginny Georgekutty

Anonymous said...

Ginny, gotta tell you, this rocks. It makes a lot of sense, though I still think you should talk a bit more, might be fun to have a conversation every now and again. :P