Friday, November 10, 2006

My Favorite Place, Vickie Lennon

I pry open my eyes and discover that my room, which was totally engulfed in darkness, is now bright. Each shadow which once made my body tremble is now clear. The sun illuminating my room warms my face and entire body. Outside my window the wind shakes the trees as a young child shakes a maraca, making a faint rustle. I pull my blankets closer to me and cocoon myself in their warmth. I am too tired to think of the monotonous duties of the day. So I lie, aware that the world is going on around me. But I am at peace, my body at rest, and I am hidden from the start of my day.

5 comments:

Ms. Mayo said...

Vickie,

I love the way you use "cocoon" as a verb.
I also like "hidden from the start of the day."
And I totally relate to the feeling in this piece!

Maybe a different title?

Thanks for posting...I'm going back to bed!

Ms. Mayo

Anonymous said...

It may be a paragraph, one that could lead into a story but it sounds like a poem. Either way you look at it, it is really good.

Debra said...

The descriptions are excellent- I can visualize and relate to your experience as well. It leaves me warm and comforted.

W Brown said...

I read this the day after Thanksgiving...I didn't want to get out of my cocoon.

Anonymous said...

Oh my Vickie,
I feel like this almost every morning. Isn't it just wonderful to shut everything out and be in that place of warmth and comfort before facing the day ahead!