Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Approaching Perfection - by: Ashley Hughey

I’m going to a track meet today. It’s in Syracuse, NY so we we’re going to drive in the night before the track meet and spend the night in a hotel. Its wonderful, fun, everything you can’t imagine a long car ride to be. I thought we were approaching perfection. Unfortunately, I thought wrong. But as fun as it was we didn’t make it to Syracuse, we made it to Kings Point. The car flipped over four times and we had no idea what was going on. My friends were fast asleep in the back and I was in the front just observing the night ride. We weren’t wearing seat belts. We were all ejected form the van that night. My friend died. I was shocked, here perfection was so close and someone just came and snatched it from us. After filing out police reports and spending the night in a hospital, I began to wonder where perfection decided to go. After her funeral, everything started falling back in place. Life was good again. It wasn’t the best/perfect because I had lost my friend and perfection. But it was good. One day as I reflected on my friend and her crazy ways, I thought about why perfection didn’t want her around. Then it came to me, she was perfection. As I cried because of sadness and joy, I felt her surrounding me; I finally realized I was approaching perfection again. She was back!

3 comments:

Mighty Mojo said...

Beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing with everyone!
-joanna

W Brown said...

Unbelievable story, thanks for sharing.

Mr. Abicca said...

I have to say Ashley the writing kept me in suspense. It made me wonder how life is written for you.